Founded in 1991 by Gina Johnson, the Mission of Sharing Down Syndrome Arizona is to educate and empower, but especially give hope to individuals who have Down syndrome so they may grow up to become independent self-advocates. We champion and celebrate ALL people who have Down syndrome. We promote positive acceptance, understanding, and inclusion is embraced by all as we celebrate each life
The vision of Sharing Down Syndrome Arizona is to provide a world with equal rights and opportunities for all people who have Down syndrome.
Our Vision will be accomplished by:
- NEW PARENT WELCOME FOLDERS to all AZ birthing hospitals.
- NEW PARENT GIFT PACKAGES ($200 value )filled with books, DVD’s, CD’s about Down syndrome. (free to families)
- PLAY GROUPS for children with Down syndrome and their siblings.
- PARENT SUPPORT MEETINGS (Valley-Wide- English and Spanish) that address educational, legislative and medical issues regarding individuals who have Down syndrome.
- Quarterly uplifting NEWSLETTERS for families and professionals.
- “PROUD PARENT EMAIL LIST” to network families and professionals.
- LENDING LIBRARY
- ASSISTANCE, KNOWLEDGE and RESOURCES for developing effective IEP’s (Individual Educational Plan) and DDD eligibility (Division of Developmental Disabilities)
- PARTNERING with other services agencies: DDD, AZiep, and Raising Special Kids, Phoenix Children’s Hospital, St. Joseph’s, Carden’s Children’s Hospial, and all birthing hosptials.
- GREAT SOCIAL EVENTS including our annual SHARING DOWN SYNDROME WALK, (1 mile stroller friendly walk), Easter Egg Hunt, Breakfast with Santa, Play Groups, New Parent Dessert Nights & much more! (See photos at www.sdsaphotos.com)
- PHONE SUPPORT
- ANGEL BABY ADOPTION
- SHARING GOOD GRIEF (Bereavement Support)